Personally, I've witnessed cold weather, pessimism, and even a general disdain for lentils be overcome by this simple, yet delectable, soup. Honestly, it's pretty amazing what can be done with just under an hour and only a few basic ingredients...
And, speaking of ingredients, don't let this soup's short list make a Doubting Thomas out of you. "Lively Up Yourself Lentil Soup" is tasty right out of the pot, but adding a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to the top easily elevates this soup to the next level of "Yum!"
- For the recipe, click on Heidi's fantastic 101 Cookbooks site, here.
- For my notes, see below:
- If you can't find black beluga lentils - and I couldn't - don't worry! The green French lentils are a perfect substitution, as the recipe suggests.
- If you're not sure which "leafy green" to use, go half-and-half. For example, I used 1 1/2 cups of kale and 1 1/2 cups of chard with great success.
- If you want to make this recipe vegan, as I did, just skip the saffron yogurt completely (or use vegan yogurt instead). Since I don't like saffron, I stuck with the olive oil, which was fantastic!
- To view another (super simple) 101 Cookbooks recipe on my blog, click here.