Personally, I've witnessed cold weather, pessimism, and even a general disdain for lentils be overcome by this simple, yet delectable, soup. Honestly, it's pretty amazing what can be done with just under an hour and only a few basic ingredients...
And, speaking of ingredients, don't let this soup's short list make a Doubting Thomas out of you. "Lively Up Yourself Lentil Soup" is tasty right out of the pot, but adding a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to the top easily elevates this soup to the next level of "Yum!"
- For the recipe, click on Heidi's fantastic 101 Cookbooks site, here.
- For my notes, see below:
- If you can't find black beluga lentils - and I couldn't - don't worry! The green French lentils are a perfect substitution, as the recipe suggests.
- If you're not sure which "leafy green" to use, go half-and-half. For example, I used 1 1/2 cups of kale and 1 1/2 cups of chard with great success.
- If you want to make this recipe vegan, as I did, just skip the saffron yogurt completely (or use vegan yogurt instead). Since I don't like saffron, I stuck with the olive oil, which was fantastic!
- To view another (super simple) 101 Cookbooks recipe on my blog, click here.
You say you despise wooden spoons, but I spy with my little eye a wooden spoon in your lentil soup pic! Or, at least it looks wooden. Have the lentils helped you overcome this issue of yours?ReplyDelete
Too funny, Vegan Blog Tracker! I guess I'm caught red handed :)ReplyDelete
Actually, that wooden spoon is made of bamboo. I've been trying to use more sustainable things in the kitchen, & that spoon was one of my first steps in more positive direction...
Surprisingly, the "feel" of it doesn't bother me at all because the grainy-feeling is different than the one that I associate with (& dislike about) regular wooden spoons.
Yea, I know, I know, I'm so weird! Thanks for keeping me accountable though - LOL!
Aren't lentils awesome? I think lentil soup is my favorite kind of soup.ReplyDelete
That soup looks absolutely delicious!!ReplyDelete
That soup looks great! I love greens in my soup, I've got to try that one out!ReplyDelete
Lentil soup is sooo good. I was so scared of it when I was younger, (lentils look weird) but now its definitely the ultimate comfort food for a cold day. Yours looks fabulous.ReplyDelete