Interested in buying healthy, local produce, but not sure what's currently in season in your area?
Never fear, Veggie Terrain is here! Peruse the chart below (via cuesa.org), and click on one of the links at the bottom of this post for even more location-specific harvest info. And don't worry, you'll become an expert on local/seasonal fruits and veggies in no time...
Seasonality Chart - Vegetables
Dark green indicates that a product can be found at farmers' markets, and is being harvested.
Light green indicates that it can be found in the market but is not within its natural harvest season (possible through storage or hot house production).
- Field To Plate - Provides links to different states and regions (including pick-your-own guides for the relevant seasons) in the U.S.
- Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) - Lists United States' seasonal produce info, as well as an option to locate local farmers' markets. Also, supplies descriptions and tips for each item of produce listed for your individual state.
- BC Association of Farmers' Markets - Provides both seasonal and month-by-month lists of local, seasonal, produce and fruit across Canada.
- Act Now BC - Outlines seasonally available fruits and veggies, and supplies a few tips on where/how to buy local, in-season produce throughout Canada.
- Vegetarian Society - Lists what's in season for each month of the year in the United Kingdom. Recipes based on the availability of produce during each month are also available.
Hungry for even more? Check out an oldie, but goody - VT's What's the Deal with Organics? post. It's chock-full of great information on topics like CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture), organics (the Dirty Dozen and the Clean Fifteen), and even money-saving produce tips!